Lloyd Morgan (1921-2008)

Lloyd Morgan shared his experiences as a volunteer in the Royal Canadian Air Force war in a two-part interview at the Windsor Historical Society. His father, who was a veteran of World War I, influenced Morgan to join the Air Force. It also followed the Great Depression. Morgan, like many Canadian volunteers, needed employment during the days of economic struggle and the military provided him an opportunity. He enlisted in June 1940, and was discharged in May 1945.

Morgan described his extensive military training and his experiences in Britain with bomb attacks and blackouts. He also discussed his role in the Battle of the Atlantic, a critical part of World War II. During this battle, Britain's main concern was importing supplies while avoiding the German U-boats. Morgan played an important role in aiding Britain by eliminating the U-bomb threat to the North Atlantic.

220 Squadron R.A.F.

Lloyd Morgan

During the war, flying the North Atlantic in winter, your enemy was flying circumstances as much as the U-boat. One such stormy day, March 7, 1943, contributed to my most memorable and frightening experience. The sea was rough, and we had experienced strong head winds to reach our target area where a submarine’s signals had been intercepted for a location fix.


We searched the area and spotted the white spume of the U-boat’s forward movement. As he crash-dived, we released depth charges ahead of the conning towers swirl. In a few seconds, oil gushed to the surface, followed by the U-boat, which had been brought to a full stop. It stayed up for a few minutes, and then as it disappeared, we helped it on its way with the rest of our depth charges.


There was another gush of oil and as we left, a patch 200 yards in diameter was increasing. We then became concerned with fuel used up during the attack because the winds had changed, and we were faced with head winds again to return to base. To ditch in a stormy North Atlantic in early March is fatal no matter how successful the ditching. Our navigator set course for North Ireland instead of Scotland.


As we touched the empty fuel point the rocky shore of North Ireland appeared, and as luck would have it, there was a new unlisted airfield under construction at St. Angelo, Ireland, where we landed on fumes. We had been flying for 13 1/2 hours and our average flight time per flight was between 10 and 11 hours normally.

We had a second successful U-boat attack on the 19th of March but the weather was cooperative and we had no repeat of fuel shortage. I have copies of these actions as they appeared in a British London newspaper.